In the restaurant industry, keeping the place in a state of perfect cleanliness is of the utmost importance. Everything must be done to minimize the microbiological risks, which are potential sources of food poisoning. The kitchen – the most sensitive area in terms of hygiene – must be subject to particularly fastidious cleaning, but the dining room mustn’t be neglected either.
The kitchen of a restaurant should be cleaned after each service to prevent the grime from drying up and getting clogged in the holes or the joints of the tiling. Every day, therefore, you should clean:
- The garbage cans. Once emptied, they should be washed, scrubbed, rinsed, and fitted with a new bag.
- The walls should be cleaned with warm water and a disinfecting degreaser.
- The worktops, tables, guards, stainless steel shelves and marbles should be cleaned with warm water and disinfecting degreaser.
- The ovens, ranges, microwaves, salamanders and toasters. First, remove the waste, then clean them with warm water and some disinfecting degreaser.
- The fryer should be cleaned with each oil change. After draining it, let the basin soak with a disinfecting degreaser overnight. The next day, rinse then dry the fryer.
- The handwashing station and the dishwashing basin should be washed and scrubbed with a disinfecting degreaser.
- The dishwasher and the glasswasher: take apart the removable parts, remove the waste, then wash everything with warm water and disinfecting degreaser.
- The door handles and switches should be cleaned with disinfecting wipes.
- The floors: Vacuum the waste, wash with a disinfecting degreaser, then let dry for five minutes before scrubbing. Then, rinse then remove the water with a squeegee, and let dry. And don’t forget to clean the drain!
- Once a Week
The hood vents and filters must be cleaned. The grills should be taken apart, and everything should be washed with warm water and disinfecting degreaser. Let it work for fifteen minutes, then scrub, rinse, dry, and put everything back together.
The dishwashing machine and the glasswasher should be descaled.
The ice machine must be cleaned and scrubbed with warm water and disinfectant, then rinsed with clear water and dried.
- Once a Month
The ceilings must be cleaned with warm water and disinfecting degreaser.
The refrigerators and freezers should be emptied and washed with warm water and disinfectant, then rinsed and dried.
The Dining Room
- Each day, the tables should be washed with warm water and a disinfecting degreaser, without forgetting to clean the undersides of the tables. The floors should be vacuumed and washed with warm water and disinfecting degreaser.
- The windows and mirrors should be scrubbed with glass cleaner.
- The chairs, benches, buffets and dumbwaiters should be cleaned each week with warm water and disinfecting degreaser.
- The washrooms: After the service, the garbage can should be emptied and cleaned. For the walls and the floor, use warm water with disinfecting degreaser.
- The sink and the toilet bowl should be washed with bathroom cleaner, the mirrors scrubbed with glass cleaner, and the door handles and switches cleaned with disinfecting wipes. The soap dispensers, paper towels, and toilet paper should be restocked.
In a restaurant, the kitchen, the dining room, and the washrooms should be cleaned every day. Strict compliance with health rules minimizes the risk of food contamination. A clean establishment also attracts customers and helps retain them.